The Alliance to End Plastic Waste (“AEPW”) is a leading global membership organization made up of CEOs from over 40 international companies that make, use, sell, process, collect and recycle plastics with a clear mission to help end plastic waste in the environment. To achieve this goal, AEPW is bringing together industry, governments, intergovernmental organizations, civil society, local communities and citizens to advance a range of solutions that can be deployed around the world, especially where the challenge of unmanaged plastic waste is greatest.
While plastics have helped improve living standards, hygiene and nutrition around the world, rapid increases in the consumption of plastic goods combined with a lack of adequate waste management systems in some parts of the world have led to a global environmental challenge that is affecting communities, individuals and wildlife.
AEPW is collaborating with organizations from civil society, innovators, entrepreneurs and national, regional and local governments to develop scalable solutions that will keep plastic waste out of the environment. Alliance projects and partnerships will help minimize and manage plastic waste and increase the value of plastic waste streams while also supporting overall sustainable development including improvements to the quality of life, health, local jobs and economic activity in many communities.
The AEPW has committed nearly US$1 billion, with a goal of deploying US$1.5 billion within five years of the Alliance’s launch in January 2019.
AEPW has developed a global vision and a comprehensive, integrated strategy made up of four pillars:
• Infrastructure to collect and manage waste and increase recycling, especially in developing countries;
• Innovation to advance and scale new technologies and business models that minimize waste, make recycling and recovering plastics easier and create value from all post-use plastics;
• Education and engagement of governments at all levels, businesses, communities and consumers to mobilize action; and,
• Clean up and prevention of concentrated areas of plastic waste in the environment.
The members of the Alliance to End Plastic waste represent the following companies: BASF SE, Berry Global, Braskem S.A., Charter NEX Films, Chevron Phillips Chemical Company, China Petrochemical & Chemical Corporation (Sinopec), Clariant International Ltd., Covestro, Dow Inc., Equate Petrochemical Company, ExxonMobil, Formosa Plastics Corporation, U.S.A., Gemini Corporation NV, Geocycle, Grupo Phoenix, Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, LyondellBasell, Milliken & Company, Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation, Mitsui Chemicals, Inc., NOVA Chemicals, Novolex, OxyChem - Occidental Chemical Corp., PepsiCo Inc., PolyOne Corporation, Pregis LLC, Reliance Industries Limited, Sasol Limited, Saudi Basic Industries Corp. (SABIC), SCG, Sealed Air, Shell, SKC, Storopack GmbH, Suez, Sumitomo Chemical Company Ltd., The Procter & Gamble Company, Tomra Systems ASA, TOTAL, Veolia, Versalis and Westlake Chemical. AEPW welcomes all companies, big or small, from all regions and sectors to support this effort.
We are looking for sharp storyteller, with an uncanny ability to identify and develop both human-interest stories and newsworthy angles in the Alliance’s programs and activities. The ideal candidate will have a strong familiarity with a variety of media platforms, from traditional tier one global media outlets to influential global and regionally-relevant digital media platforms. This storyteller must also be able to connect the stories we tell with the impact they make as measured by robust metrics.
ROLE AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Build a story bank
• Work closely with the program teams and AEPW’s project partners to identity newsworthy project developments and compelling stories about the progress, people and impact of AEPW initiatives.
• Be familiar with ongoing news trends and discussions on plastics waste and environmental concerns to ensure our stories contribute to driving the change we want to create.
Share our stories
• Build a list of traditional and digital media targets, which is kept updated and relevant
• Develop strong relationships with media professionals from targeted media outlets to support effective sharing of AEPW news and stories.
• Develop a robust earned media strategy that integrates traditional and digital media outreach to influence the change AEPW wants to create.
• Establish an editorial calendar and cadence of communications that incorporates earned, paid and social media outreach with input from multiple internal AEPW stakeholders to maximize the impact of AEPW announcements, project developments, events and leadership activities.
• Identify appropriate spokespeople that can represent AEPW in proactive and reactive media engagement and ensure they are adequately trained and prepared to share AEPW’s messages, stories and news.
• Monitor and track coverage of AEPW related news
• Develop a set of credible metrics for measuring the reach and impact of AEPW’s media and digital communications
• Baseline and track the performance of AEPW’s external media and digital profile
• Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications, Advertising, Marketing or equivalent. A relevant master’s degree is an advantage.
• A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in media & digital communications, preferably with some experience in sustainability related areas
• A good understanding of the regional and global media landscape, with strong media relations with business, consumer, and environmental outlets
• Proven results of running successful digital/social campaigns, preferably for issues-related reputational campaigns
• Proven track record of successfully pitching/placing news stories in top tier media outlets
• Experience with working with an agency to help guide the work
• Experience in data-driven approach of communications
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• Eager to work in a fast-paced environment
• A start-up attitude – highly collaborative with an entrepreneurial, roll-up-your sleeves attitude that’s not afraid to work independently when required.
CANDIDATE APPLICATION PROCESS
How to Apply: Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Closing Date: 31st January 2020
Back to Employment Opportunities